ST. ANTHONY CHURCH|
St. Anthony Catholic Church is located just one mile east of the Ohio-Indiana state line in
Mercer County. It was established in the summer of 1852. With the help of their Lutheran
Neighbors, a group of pioneers constructed the first log church. This church was built a quarter
of a mile north of the present building. Today only the cemetery remains at this site.
Construction of the present church began in 1874. Due to the location of the public school and
the desire to locate the church as near it as possible, it was decided to build the new church
further south. With little money available, the church was built gradually over a period of six
years, with the completion in about 1880. Working under the direction of architect, Anton De
Curtins, volunteers from the parish did much of the labor. There are approximately 145 families in St. Anthony Parish.