HOLY FAMILY CHURCH - FRENCHTOWN|
Frenchtown is composed of French settlers who immigrated directly from France or who later migrated from Stark County, Ohio. Yearning to have a church close to their homes, the Catholic families of Frenchtown built their first church in 1845. The Holy Family Parish was dedicated on October 15, 1846. Holy Family Cemetery is located immediately south of the church. It was dedicated on October 15, 1846 also.
Continual growth of the congregation soon made the old log church inadequate. A new church in the Gothic style with a stone foundation was built in 1866. The church was dedicated on November 25, 1866. The small bell in the belfry is the original bell brought from France by Father Naverron and is still used today.
From 1880 to 1910 many improvements took place. In 1885, the church was enlarged and remodeled. In 1902, a Queen Anne style parsonage was built across the street from the church. Many improvements have taken place over the years to make this two story frame house a welcome home for our pastors. In 1966, the 100th anniversary of the church, a new entrance from the north was added. The parish house is now being used for classes and meetings.