IMMACULATE CONCEPTION CHURCH COMPLEX - CELINA|
On August 31, 1865, the cornerstone was laid for the first church. This church was built of brick and stood on the corner of Anthony and Walnut Streets. It stood in front of the present church and faced south. It was dedicated on December 8, 1865, and the parish officially became Immaculate Conception parish. In 1879 a small parochial school was built and the Precious Blood Sisters took charge of the school. This school grew rapidly and only ten years later, in 1889, a new Immaculate Conception Grade School opened to 220 students.
The parish also continued to grow. In 1900 a building committee was formed to erect a new church. This grand Romanesque style church was completed in 1903. Stained glass windows were donated, as were the communion railings, stations, organ and church bells. At this time the parish numbered about 170 families. In 1918 a new school was opened. The new school had not only eight grades but also three years of high school. In 1928, the high school became a four year high school. Financial problems made it impossible to maintain the high school, and the Class of 1972 was the last class to graduate from Immaculate Conception High School.
Today the Immaculate Conception Parish numbers about 1700 families. Immaculate Conception Parish has the only parochial school in Mercer County and one of only three in the Deanery. This K-6 school at this time has 247 students.