ST. JOHN THE EVANGELIST CHURCH AND PARISH HALL - FRYBURG|
St. John the Evangelist is located in Fryburg, southeast of Wapakoneta in Auglaize County
and is the eastern-most parish in the Deanery. St. John the Evangelist, Fryburg was established in 1850 to serve the German farmer settlers of the area.
The decision was made to build a church in Fryburg, which was dedicated on November
23, 1850. The new church was large (80 feet long and 43 feet wide). It was built of brick and
still stands today substantially as built. It is one of the oldest Catholic Church buildings in Ohio
which is still used as the complete parish church.
The original parish consisted of 30 scattered families. In 1856, the farmers to the south
organized another parish in Rhine, which was served as a mission of Fryburg for 17 years. In
1865 another parish was organized in Botkins and was served as a mission. St. JohnÕs parish
grew to 105 families in 1877, even with the new parishes being formed. At that time the parish
school was built. Today the parish lists 155 families.