ST. PETER CHURCH AND RECTORY|
St. Peter, located at the intersection of Philothea Road and St. Peter Road is a daughter parish of
St. Joseph. As more immigrants from Germany began to settle north and west of St. Joe, the
primitive modes of travel became a deciding factor in the decision to seek permission to build a
church closer to their homes. Permission was granted in 1858 by the Archbishop of Cincinnati
and work was begun. When it came time to choose a patron for the new congregation several
saints were suggested. The willingness of one Peter Kerber to do the extraordinary was the deciding factor in the choice of St. Peter.
The Parish has always been served by the Missionaries of the Precious Blood; at first a priest
came each week from Mary's Home in Trinity, Indiana to conduct services. For a time after that
St. Peter shared a pastor with the neighboring parish in Ft. Recovery, alternating the first mass
or "low mass" and the later mass "high mass" on every other Sunday. In 1886 the parish got a
Pastor of its own. Today the parish consists of approximately 120 families.