ST. SEBASTIAN CHURCH AND RECTORY|
St. Sebastian Parish is located on County Road 716A, about a half a mile north of St. Rte. 274 just west of Chickasaw, Ohio. Although most parishes were organized in an existent town, St. Sebastian Parish was organized by 20 farmers who did not want to walk to Maria Stein or St. Rose for Sunday Mass. In 1852, they received permission from the Bishop of Cincinnati to organize and build a church. They picked a spot in the woods and the cornerstone of the new church was laid in the spring of 1852. The frame building they built was on the present site of parish cemetery. By the 1870's it was obvious that the parish needed a new church, but there was some disagreement about the site of a new church. The new brick church, dedicated on October 10, 1879, was built where the present church stands. On January 12, 1903, the church completely burned to the ground. Not only was the church destroyed, but everything in the church was lost, including all parish records. There was much discussion about where to build the new church, but the final decision was to build it at the same location. At this time one group of parishioners left the parish to form the parish at Chickasaw and another group left to form the parish in Montezuma.
The present church at St. Sebastian was consecrated on September 18, 1904. Soon after the 48 families of the parish built a rectory. At this time the parish consists of about 70 families.